Ramblings and Purgings

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

On exercise and cupcakes

So, yesterday I decided to begin my 12 (or so) week challenge to get as fit as possible for the wedding.
I am not unfit by average standards but I really have let myself go the past 3 months and last night really highlighted the fact.
Oyvind and I went to the gym to do some weights. It's funny, most women do not like to do weight in fear that they will bulk up but in reality, weights do you a lot more good than running on a treadmill for an hour? Why? Well, quite simply you burn more fat and you tone up. Also, if you get into a proper routine of weights training (say 2 to 3 times a week) you will see some serious results in a few weeks in terms of increased metabolism (you know, the thing models talk about although I think it is mainly bulimia or anorexia in their case...hmmm, moving right along!).
Anyway, we did upper body work and both of us were in appalling shape. Whereas before I could lift at level 6 or 7, last night I was lifting at level 8 and 9 - shocking!
Although by the end of the workout we were both hurting pretty badly, we both felt a lot better about ourselves.

This morning, I decided to keep the trend going and woke up nice and early to do a yoga session. I got a couple of new yoga DVDs over the weekend, so I was keen to try them out. It was tough! Now, I have been practicing yoga for a couple of years now (strictly amateur level though, not too many formal classes) but I was working up a sweat! Wow...

So now I feel great about myself. I will try to do at least 2 or 3 yoga sessions and 2 or 3 gym sessions a week. The wedding is merely an excuse to get back in shape but I think it provides for a damn good incentive :-)

Now, on to cupcakes...
I have decided that it would be a sweet idea to bake mini cupcakes and give these out as wedding favours/bonbonnieres at the wedding. So far, I have the baking forms and instructions on how to make boxes in which these will sit but I have NO RECIPE!

I want something really simple, like a French vanilla cake for example, and something that will keep for a couple of days.

So, if you are reading this blog, take pity on me and help me find a recipe...pretty please?

6 Comments:

  • Okay, now I feel very lazy. I swear I almost did my pilates dvd this morning but then...I didn't.

    Here is the recipe for the famous cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery in NYC: http://www.stefmike.org/mt-archives/000305.html
    I haven't tried to make them homemade but I can tell you that the originals are delicious: light and super sweet. Not fancy at all, just classic.

    If you're thinking chocolate, these sound good:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102748
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108418

    By Blogger amylou, at 12:07 am  

  • Amy, THANK YOU!!!
    The first recipe sounds awesome and the chocolate ones...mmmm :-)
    How can ever repay you? Caramel tea perhaps?

    By Blogger Pusekatt, at 9:26 am  

  • It was my pleasure -- I adore looking for recipes. Anyway, don't thank me yet, they could be disgusting! If so, you'll always have lovely caramel and cookies and cream (!) tea to wash away the taste.

    By Blogger amylou, at 10:02 am  

  • I have no recipe to offer, because I dont' cook, but I do want to say that I'm starting a yoga class next week and I'm really psyched. I've never tried it before and I'm looking for a new hobby! I hope it's great. Do you notice any body changes with that?

    By Blogger Jessie_dc22, at 11:45 am  

  • Amy, Ok, I'll thank you next week when I have tried my hand at the recipes on the weekend...I have a feeling my co-workers will be very happy indeed. Can't eat all cupcakes by myself!

    Jessie, congrats on the yoga course! The first thing you'll notice after 2 or 3 sessions is that your flexibility is much improved. Body changes? Mainly your posture, which is good because it means that you'll look leaner and longer. Other words of advice - don't push yourself too hard. Know your limits and within a few sessions you will overcome these. (gee, I sound like a guru now so I'd better stop before I puke - damn those yoga teachers!)

    By Blogger Pusekatt, at 11:28 am  

  • Hi There! Really cool site . Ok so I'm always searching for this kind of stuff.
    I have this fascination thing. Keep up the good work!
    All Blessings,pilates

    By Anonymous pilates, at 12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home