Ramblings and Purgings

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Lindt and Dukkah...

Last Thursday, Ellen and I met up for "coffee" at the recently opened Lindt cafe.
Coffee we did not drink. Instead, we decided to go all out and so I ordered a Chocolate Frappe (yum!) and we also ordered a Chocolate mousse to share.
By the time I finished the Chocolate Frappe I was stuffed! I could barely eat a couple of spoonfuls of the mousse :-) Nonetheless, I recommend this place.
Now, whilst catching up and exchanging photos from the trip, Ellen gave me a Christmas present courtesy of her mum...it was something in a jar, which did not greatly surprise me. However, this year instead of home-made jam (which is excellent and mostly exotic...picture "Cherry Guava jam") this year Bea made Dukkah...

Ahhhh, Dukkah...

Dukkah

When Oyvind and I went away to the Hunter Valley in December, we enjoyed some lovely dukkah...or so I thought.

(Oh and for those not familiar with this, Dukkah is a type of dry dip made of sesame seeds and various ingredients. It is usually eaten by dipping crusty bread in some olive oil (or avocado oil, etc) and then dipping the moistened bread in the dukkah.)

Anyway, Oyvind and I took it home and decided to have some for dinner, along with some lovely marinated cheese purchased at the Hunter Valley from the Binnorie Dairy.
The dukkah was superb! I think everyone ought to try it...so, here's a recipe I found on the net although I think Bea's recipe will remain a secret for a while yet...

Dukkah

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sesame seeds (dry roasted)
1/2 cup coriander seeds (dry roasted)
1 cup macadamia & almonds or hazelnuts & almonds (dry roasted)
1/4 cup cumin seed or 2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper

Chop the nuts or use a mortar and pestle. Do the same with the seeds, one sort at a time. Take care not to over-process. You can make it as chunky or as fine as you like. Mix all the chopped nuts and seeds together and add the salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
Serve in a small bowl alongside a bowl of olive oil and some bread. Dip the bread into the oil and then the Dukkah. Bliss!


Dukkah 2

4 Comments:

  • Wow, I've never had anything like that! Where does dukkah come from? I love the sound of it...

    By Blogger Molly, at 5:44 pm  

  • Wow, dukkah! Something totally new and delicious sounding. Thanks for the inspiration.

    By Blogger amylou, at 7:27 am  

  • Hi Ladies,

    Yes, Dukkah..absolutely delicious!
    It is of Middle Eastern origin and more specifically found in Egypt. In addition, it can be used to season meats and vegetables.
    Give it a go, I love it! :-)

    By Blogger Pusekatt, at 9:19 am  

  • Oh I love Dukkah -it is such a good alternative to olive oil and balasamic!

    I think I might have to give this recipe a try!

    By Blogger pipstar, at 8:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home