Ramblings and Purgings

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Day 1 - Continued

I think it has to do with being born in a Tropical country but one of the first things I did as soon as I arrived in El Salvador was stop by the side of the highway and buy myself a coconut. It tasted so good….

Coconuts

Once we got to my cousin Steve’s house, the gang and I decided to freshen up and have much-needed showers before we headed out once more. This time to catch the match between Barcelona and Real Madrid.

We went to Steve’s friend’s place and it was a gorgeous afternoon. Here’s the view from the balcony. It is a small part of San Salvador, the capital city of El Salvador. Also known as El Valle de las Hamacas which means The Valley of the Hammocks. This is due to the fact that San Salvador is built on a valley surrounded by volcanoes. Needless to say, there is a fair bit of seismic activity there.

Balcony

Actually, as a welcome to me and the gang, there was tremor that lasted almost 10 seconds! It was not so scary as it was just such a novelty. Tremors are ok but earthquakes I am not keen on. Especially since my experience with the big earthquake of 1986. Nothing compared to the 7.1 earthquake of 2001 that lasted almost 40 seconds and killeds hundreds of people.

Despite the bloody history of my country of birth, it was good to be back home.

The people do not change, always optimists and always ready to lend a hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home