Ramblings and Purgings

Friday, October 08, 2004

Aimee Mann


Love this album Posted by Hello

I was so chuffed about picking up this gem of an album in downtown Sydney for $10!
I have no idea how I stumbled upon Aimee Mann but one of her songs "Driving Sideways" has been a favourite of mine for a couple of years. She is right up there with Duncan Sheik and Fernando Olvera (Mana) for me as a most excellent singer-songwriter. Must admit that I am quite partial to such artists because I figure that their music has that little bit extra soul. Having stated this though, I am still very partial to Ol'd blue eyes Frank Sinatra, even though he never penned a song...Hmmm

To me, singer-songwriters are like painters or sculptors in that you can experience the fruits of their labour but the origins of such fruits are still quite unknown.

If you have not had a chance to listen to her music, I recommend it highly. She did the soundtrack to the film "Magnolia" and her rendition of the Beatles classic "one" is very good.

1 Comments:

  • To my knowledge (though I haven't bothered to look, this is purely off the top of my head), there is no Beatles' song titled "One." There's "One After 909" and "For No One" (my own personal Beatles' fave for the moment) but that's all that comes to mind

    By Blogger grobidanth, at 10:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home