Ramblings and Purgings

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

My Mum

You know, I am still trying to figure out what this blog should be about. I have read other people's blogs and they all seem so interesting by comparison! There are some extremely witty people out there and also some whose lives seem to be amazing. Well, little ol' me does not really have much of either but I like to think I am surrounded by amazing people - none more so than my mum.

My mum has just been offered a new job with a hospital (she is a nurse) and she has also been offered the chance to start a diploma in medical administration, all to be paid for by her future employer. In addition, she is awaiting news of her university application to study, via correspondence, for her Registered Nurse degree. Unfortunately, due to accreditation restrictions her degree is only recognised as Enrolled Nurse qualifications.

She came to this country when she was 37 with 2 young daughters - no family, no money, no English. She studied English for the first few months but found, like most migrants out there, that money does not grow on trees. In order to get ahead, you have to work. Hard.

Her first job was as a chambermaid for an international hotel chain. This was after coming from a country where she held down a very senior role, had a full-time maid and 2 kids in an exclusive private school. In addition, my mum had a serious accident in which 3 of her spine discs had to be removed completely and so she has a 'gap' where the discs should be. Miraculously, she walks fine but is rather limited in a few things. This did not stop her from making beds and turning over mattresses for 8-10 hour shifts everyday for a couple of years. Pretty amazing huh?

She has always been such a fighter! She inspires me to no end and even though she gets on my nerves sometimes, I would not trade her for the world. She is a great mother!

Anyway, here she is, 16 years later. English as her second language, a strong accent and some physical limitations - yet learning how to use computers, applying for university, working as a nurse and having the energy to support me when I need her most.


Mum Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

  • Your mum is definitely amazing Ivonne. It's not surprising at all that you look up to her and are proud of her. I'm so glad to hear that lots of good things are happening for her!

    By Blogger pipstar, at 9:23 am  

  • Hi Pipstar,

    Thanks for the kind words!
    The Pusekatt

    By Blogger Pusekatt, at 11:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home