Ramblings and Purgings

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Amelie soundtrack - mine at last!


My latest musical acquisition Posted by Hello

Ever since I saw the movie 'Amelie' in a little cinema in downtown Woollongong a couple of years ago, I have been fascinated by its beautiful soundtrack. There is something about the accordion and the harmonica that makes me feel so happy and joyful. Perhaps it is associated with the fact that my grandfather, Papi Freddy, used to play his harmonica on lazy hot afternoons...
I remember this so well, my sister and I would come home from school and he would be ready to spoil us by telling us a story or buying us treats or cooking us a yummy dessert or playing a nice tune on his harmonica. He would have a cigarrette and a strong black coffee and perhaps a little cake.

My grandfather passed away couple of months back. It had been over 16 years since I had seen him and maybe around 8 or so years since I had heard his voice. I was his 'maguita' (little wizard) and he loved me.

The last letter I wrote to him is sitting on my bedside table. I did not get the chance to post it before his death. But I know that he is with me in spirit and he knows what is going on in my life. I bet he probably reads this blog...somehow :-)

3 Comments:

  • Hi!

    I can't agree with you more regarding the Amelie soundtrack! Its curious mix of joy and melancholy is only found in true tango music, and it makes me think of artists such as Piazolla and the like. Mr. Yann Tiersen certainly outdid himself on this soundtrack. I think it's great!

    Your grandfather sounds like he was quite the man. I lost my grandfather in '91 (I was just a kid), but my memories of him are quite vivid. I think grandparents are just as important as parents because they provide a window into a time that has passed, and although the endless stories of 'back when I was young' can be quite boring as a child, I treasure them now.

    Oh and I am sure that your grandfather is reading your blog, too :-)

    By Blogger dogspeed, at 9:24 am  

  • Lovely film - should have won the Oscar that year but was dudded.

    The music is gorgeous too. Well done on getitng hold of a copy, and thanks for sharing some gorgeous memories.

    By Blogger Burnt Karma, at 10:41 am  

  • Thanks Burnt Karma - had no idea that more than 2 people were reading my blog. Makes me feel special :-)

    By Blogger Pusekatt, at 11:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home